Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Saying Too Much

I admit, sometimes the drawbridge between brain and mouth doesn't operate as well and quickly as one would hope. Beyond hearing myself say occasionally inappropriate things with no control to stop it, I also tend to share too much. This blog is evidence there-of.

Last night we had dinner with friends, and as often happens, I got the full pregnancy questionnaire. What does it feel like? Is it weird?

The thing is, there are "acceptable" answers to all these questions.

Yes, the pregnancy is going well - (this is very very true);

I feel SO BLESSED to be carrying life inside me - (do NOT mention my views on the alien/parasitic nature of babies, or that at times I think pregnancy is downright unnatural);

Yes, they do move inside you but it's just soooooooo cute - (don't talk about the part where they have sharp elbows and knees, which they like to use at night);

I LOVE my new, pregnant form. It is just so beautiful - (don't say A WORD about how you're now rotating through 3 pairs of pants and 4 t-shirts that still fit, refusing to buy maternity clothes, and feeling like a baleen whale);

I can't wait until we start classes to learn about how I'll bring my precious bundle into the world - (forget to explain how I chose the class based on the fact that I could complete it in the least number of sessions);

Baby things are SOOOOOOO cute - (except for the ones I don't comprehend, and the breast pump which, if it's only half as terrifying as it looks, belongs in the next installment of the Saw movie torture scenes);

Newborns are adorable - (have you seen any photos of newborns lately? I've seen mine, and let me tell you, I wasn't going to be winning any beauty pageants).

Ok, so maybe I should just smile, nod, and tell people the "truth" they want to hear...

No comments: