Saturday, April 5, 2008

A History of She-Blob

Since we're starting a bit late into the game (4 months, give or take), I'm devoting a little time to the evolution of She-Blob. A Cliff notes to her existence, if you will.

I Get Knocked Up

Perhaps it was the comparatively balmy temperatures of So Cal after the unexpected deep freeze of Portland at Thanksgiving, but I was extra-fertile that fateful day. Long story short, She-Blob quietly and inconspicuously came into being.

I Suspect I'm Knocked Up

Fast forward to late December. After weeks of alternately working my ass off and drinking copiously at holiday parties, we went to NYC for New Years. It began as the flu. Then came the nausea, the inability to even look at food, and the dizziness. This flu was knocking me DOWN and OUT... "Maybe it's something else..." I say tentatively.

I Confirm I'm Knocked Up

Pic of Blob to come. Yep, it's true. Counting down to August 31, 2008.

The Fish Stick Episode

I consider myself a modern woman, and while the wild single lifestyle is a distant memory, I can still be counted on for a night on the town or at least a decent meal (going out for one, not cooking). Then one day, I realized that the road to my future was paved with fish sticks and tater tots. And boxed lunches. And model volcanoes. And birthday party sleep-overs. And I PANICKED.

"I will not eat fish sticks!" I scrined (that's a combo of screamed and whined) in my friend Jen's office. Which led her to suggest I start this blog.

I Look Like a Tea Cozy aka The Wardrobe Meltdown

I was getting too fat for my pants. Not big enough for maternity clothes (which, by the way, I still haven't accepted) but my jeans were falling out of rotation. Quickly. Something needed to be done. So I went to Macy's.

As I stood in the aisled of Macy's Woman, holding an armful of tent-like mu mus and picking out yet another outfit that would have looked lovely on my mother (no offence, mom), I was fighting back tears. No, seriously - I stood there saying to myself "You CAN'T cry at Macy's."

I fled, and upon coming home repeatedly threatened to drown myself in the shower. After he looked at my purchases ("Are you moving to an island?" he asked about one of my get-ups), Bree valiantly offered to take me shopping.

We Buy a Chair

This has little to do with She-Blob, other than to illustrate our state of denial. We have to refurbish our office, buy baby furniture and things ("things" being a complete mystery to me), clean out our guestroom. And what we did was buy a very cool antique accent chair for the living room. That needs to be fixed and re-upholstered.

Blob's Initials

While we agreed to not picking out names until we knew the gender, I had the epiphany that with our initials, we can actually give it the initials B.L.O.B., which would be terribly humorous. To me.

Bree thinks I'm insane... And yet...the idea has persisted...

We Brave Pottery Barn Kids

This was a recent development. After my 7th straight day of work, I dragged Bree into THAT place (admittedly, it's nowhere near as scary as Baby's R Us). This was clearly a mistake. When the kindly clerk asked me if I need any help, I literally screamed "No, I'm just looking!" and ran for the door.

Blob Graduates to She-Blob

Well, we're up to date it seems. That was yesterday. Now, for that name. Maybe we'll hold a contest....

No comments: