Sunday, June 14, 2009

Otter Hates Sophie

After living down the guilt of losing Sophie I and assuaging my feelings of parental incompetence by going out to purchase an overpriced replacement giraffe (Sophie II), I've come to an unsettling thought. Faced with undeniable evidence I can draw no other conclusion that Sophie I's loss was no accident.   

I tried to turn a blind eye to the fact that every time the rubber giraffe was left within SB's reach, she would invariable end up on the floor.  I wrote off the numerous times I've found her stuffed under the kiddie chair, behind tables or under the toy basket as mere coincidence. However I can no longer ignore what should have been obvious from the start:  Otter HATES Sophie.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that what I'd mistaken for SB's obsession with the giraffe was actually her trying desperately to get rid of her from the get-go.

It was during a walk at the park with Otter and my mother that the truth became apparent to me.  One moment, the baby was playing with Sophie with great interest.  And in the blink of an eye, the giraffe was gone - launched with force and stealth from the stroller.  I ran back and dutifully retrieved the toy, only to watch Otter repeatedly attempt to send her packing.

Since discovering this ugly truth, I've come to reevaluate all of Otter and Sophie's interactions. And there is little doubt that there is no love lost between the girl and the long-suffering giraffe.  But if Otter thinks she's going to get rid of Sophie II this easily, she's got another thing coming.  After what we went through to procure her, I'll be damned if Sophie II gets 86ed.  In fact, I plan to check Otter's luggage as she goes off to college, just to make sure the giraffe is still there.

No comments: